The frozen pizza category is facing declining sales, lack of brand loyalty and increased competition as established delivery brands and new quick-serve restaurants strive to attract pizza-buying parents. Red Baron, the second-largest frozen pizza brand, has been outspent by the category leader during key pizza-eating times like football season and March hoops.
Our challenge was to get Millennial moms to choose Red Baron during a time of year its competitors weren’t using: summer.
Red Baron surveyed thousands of moms and found that summer break is their least relaxing time of year. Moms’ average breaking point? Just 13 days after school’s out, when mealtimes are chaotic and grocery shopping goes by the wayside. Our solution: give 5,000 moms a month’s worth of pizza nights and free grocery delivery through Instacart, in exchange for sharing their mealtime parenting war stories on Red Baron’s Facebook page.
Launching 13 days into summer break, we partnered with celebrity mom Busy Phillips to kick off conversations with editors and share content about her own parenting struggles and Red Baron’s offer with her 1 million+ followers. A squadron of “wing mama” influencers helped amplify the effort.
– Nearly 510 million earned impressions, including nine national placements
– Busy Philipps’ Instagram post featuring Red Baron garnered 18,000 likes; posts across all channels received 26,768 engagements
– Red Baron social and online conversation jumped 97 percent
– An Access Hollywood Live segment aired twice, reaching 2.7 million total
– Sales of Red Baron pizza increased 313 percent on Instacart in less than a week, resulting in an 8 percent lift in total category share on Instacart.